Monday, June 4, 2007

Quote from 911 and the American Empire

"I believe that no discovery of fact, however trivial, can be wholley useless to the race, and that no trumpeting of falsehood, however virtuous in intent, can be anything but vicious...I believe in complete freedom of thought and speech alike for the humblest man and the mightiest, and in utmost freedom of conduct that is consistent with living in an organized society. I believe in capacity of man to conquer his world, and find out what it is made of, and how it is run. I believe in the reality of progress.

But the whole thing may be put very simply. I believe it is better to tell the truth than to lie. I believe it is better to be free than a slave. And I believe it is better to know than to be ignorant."
H.L. Mencken

H. L. Mencken, was a twentieth-century journalist, satirist, social critic, cynic, and freethinker, known as the "Sage of Baltimore." He is often regarded as one of the most influential American writers of the early 20th century.

No comments: